20101125

Thanksgiving

I read an article today concerning Thanksgiving. It stated that it is the purest holiday because it is based around the one thing that every other holiday seems to forget: FAMILY/FRIENDS. Christmas is supposed to be about family and friends, yet gets pushed aside all to often because we are obsessed with decorating our houses and buying presents and spending money we don't have to spend. Halloween involves buying a useless costume that you are going to wear for one night of your life (almost as pointless as buying a prom dress or tuxedo). Easter season is usually consumed by my Mom harping on us to go to Stations of the Cross, the Good Friday services, and then the Easter Sunday service. Thanksgiving, however, has only two necessities: FOOD and PEOPLE YOU CARE ABOUT. It is the perfect day of the year to realize all the stuff we take for granted the other 364 days. I know I personally have a lot to be thankful for.

I am thankful, first and foremost, that I have a country to live in that allows me to live as a free human being with rights and liberties. I am thankful for the men and women who do not get to celebrate this day and many other days because they are off on distant lands killing the assholes who think our way of life is a threat to them. I am thankful for the people that I go to school with who are training and preparing to one day continue that tradition of keeping this nation safe. I am thankful for my professors who teach and help my fellow students and I to prepare us as best as they can for our futures in serving this country.

I am thankful for my family and friends, without them I would be lost. I am thankful that my grandparents are still in good health and continue to see us on a regular basis. I am thankful my immediate family is as close and connected as we are. I am thankful that my aunts and uncles and cousins are able to see me on a regular basis as well. Just this past week I went to a bar with my cousin Melissa, my brother Aaron, and three of my good friends and had the time of my life. I am thankful to have my group of close friends that I have. I am thankful that I am able to hang out with my best friend Blaine often, despite living an hour away from him. I am thankful that my other best friend and bloodbrother Zach White is still there to motivate me, train with me, and have fun with me while we go to the same school. I am thankful for my morning lifting group, including my great buddy Kyle, Starr, and others that wake up early and bust ass with me so that we can better ourselves through fitness, and have FUN while doing it. I am thankful for the Rugby team and the friends I made on it as well. Playing rugby was the best decision I have made since college started. Before rugby, I had only a few friends on campus, now I have a lot more and have become more involved. It was the thrill of a lifetime...

I am thankful for my friends who I, unfortunately, do not get to see as often as I did in High School. You have all helped shape me in one way or another, and I would still go through Hell and back for any of you...

I am thankful for role models and sources of inspiration. I have too many and too diverse a group to name, but it ranges from the following:
-My Dad and Grandparents
-My friends who motivate me through their athletic careers (Joel, Ski, etc)
-My professors at Tiffin University who have motivated me to prepare as best I can for my career
-Historical figures such as Nathan Hale, Francis Marion, and William Wallace
-and yes, even fictional characters such as Rocky Balboa, Batman, Sam Fisher, Jack Bauer, Jason Bourne, etc

In conclusion, I am thankful for my faith. I had a rough few months not too long ago and ultimately, I feel like I am back on my faith and it is stronger than ever. My faith is the catch-all for everything I am thankful for. Without my faith, I am nothing and I have nothing. My work ethic, my family, my friends, and everything that I care about in life has all been giving to me from God, and for that I am THANKFUL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.